Ipswich: Concert space and lecture theatre proposed for Cliff Quay development
A NEW concert space and lecture theatre could be created in the heart of the former Tolly Cobbold brewery on Cliff Quay.
The idea is being considered by developers hoping to convert the brewery into a business centre with retail units as part of an overall larger redevelopment of the site as well as a supermarket and hotel.
However the development depends on a change of use for the neighbouring site that was the Vopak fuel depot until recently.
Because of the hazardous nature of the petrol products stored there, the Health and Safety Executive prevents the development of homes or residential properties – including hotels – close to the site.
The developers behind the Cliff Quay proposal, Bury St Edmunds- based Pigeon, hope that an application for a change of use for that part of the site by Associated British Ports will lead to the restriction being lifted.
Pigeon spokesman Clive Thompson admitted it was rather like putting the pieces of a jigsaw together, but hoped the situation would become clearer within the next month.
He said there were exciting plans for the brewery. adding: “We had the public exhibition earlier in the summer.
- 1 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 3 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Army carries out controlled explosion of dummy tank shell in west Suffolk
- 6 Chasing a treble, style shift and potential debut - Burton v Ipswich talking points
- 7 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after death of child
- 8 Woman in 70s dies in hospital after serious crash in east Suffolk
- 9 Suffolk councillor can stay in role despite bribery sentence
- 10 Major Suffolk employer looks to move into A14 warehouse
“One of the ideas that came up was that there could be space in the brewery for an open space which could be used as a lecture theatre or small concert venue.
“There is a skylight and the building itself lends itself to that – and it would be a great addition to what is on offer there along with retail units and a specialist business centre.”
Do you like the proposals for the Tolly Cobbold brewery site? Register and leave your views here.