Ipswich: Corporal organises Poppy Run in honour of fallen comrades
Ipswich man hosts Poppy Run at Camp Bastion
SOLDIERS at Camp Bastion completed a Poppy Run in honour of fallen troops and to raise cash for a treasured appeal.
The Poppy Run – held on Remembrance Sunday – was organised by Corporal Trevor Bygate from Ipswich who is currently serving with 662 Squardron Army Air Corp.
Cpl Bygate has been heavily involved in raising money for charity for a number of years but this was the largest event he has s organised.
He said: “I was really pleased and a little nervous about the number of people who turned up, just in case anything went wrong, but it couldn’t have gone any better.”
Poppy Runs take place around the country to raise awareness of the Royal British Legion’s Poppy Appeal.
The event at Camp Bastion was the first time it had been completed outside the UK, and the Royal British Legion’s Jim Cowan was delighted it was organised in such an important day.
- 1 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 2 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 3 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 4 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 5 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 6 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 7 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 8 Major west Suffolk road closed 'for some time' after lorry and car crash
- 9 Look inside: Stunning £3m home is most expensive on market in Suffolk
- 10 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
Cpl Bygate added: “When I first contacted Jim about my idea he was thrilled that serving personnel on operations would be willing to participate, and I could not have asked for more support.”
The race was won by Sergeant Dave McArthur currently serving with the Joint Fire Targeting Group who completed the run in 18 minutes and six seconds.
The event raised more than �2,023 for the poppy appeal.
Cpl Bygate’s Squardron is part of the Joint Aviation Group based at Camp Bastion.