Ipswich: Could Morrisons come to the town centre?
- Credit: Archant
Supermarket giant Morrisons could open in the town centre in one of two possible locations.
The company has not ruled out the possibility of a small branch of the supermarket opening in the Blockbuster store on the junction of St Matthew’s Street and Berners Street.
And it remains keen to open a large superstore on the Westgate site, formerly the home of the Civic Centre, if Tesco fails in its new bid to get planning permission for a store on Grafton Way next month.
Morrisons announced at the weekend that it was hoping to buy 49 former Blockbuster sites – mainly in southern England – to establish more town centre convenience shops.
A spokeswoman for the company said it had not announced which stores it would be buying – but an announcement would be made shortly.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Clement from Ipswich Central was doubtful about whether the Ipswich Blockbuster store would be on Morrison’s shopping list – it was opposite Tesco and Iceland stores.
However the company is still working with developer Turnstone which is hoping to build a new shopping centre on the site of the former Civic Centre.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 4 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 9 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 10 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
A spokesman for the company said: “Morrisons would be the anchor store, but they have made it clear they would not be interested in moving here if there is a new Tesco at Grafton Way.
“We have made that position clear to the borough whose planners will be considering Tesco’s planning application next month.”
Does Ipswich need new food stores? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org