Ipswich: Couple jailed for lie about knife attack
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2011
A MOTHER and her partner who lied to police investigating a knife attack carried out by her son, have been jailed.
Vicki Ricketts, 34, and Barry Ryder, 42, were both living in a flat in Burrell Road, Ipswich, last May when Ricketts’ son, Aiden Ricketts, slashed the side of another resident’s face, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Following the incident Vicki Ricketts and Ryder both provided witness statements to the police but neither of them mentioned that Aiden Ricketts was present at the time of the attack.
Vicki Ricketts and Ryder denied attempting to pervert the course of justice by providing false information to police officers investigating the wounding of Aleksej Fiodorov.
Vicki Ricketts was found guilty by a 10-2 majority verdict and Ryder was found guilty by an 11-1 majority verdict after a trial earlier this month. Sentence was adjourned until Monday for pre-sentence reports.
You may also want to watch:
Jailing the couple for nine months each, Judge David Goodin said that as a result of what they told police three innocent men were arrested and spent 22 hours in custody.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 3 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 4 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 5 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 6 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 7 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 8 Snape Maltings launches two new restaurants with far-reaching river views
- 9 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery
- 10 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people