Ipswich/Cycling: Ipswich to host 2013 Tour Series final as London 2012 Olympic champions hit town
OLYMPIC champions are heading to the town!
Ipswich will host the grand final of the 2013 Tour Series – Britain’s leading cycle race – it has been announced.
The 2013 Tour Series will reach the climax of its fifth season of racing in the town on Friday, June 14 as Suffolk makes its debut in the prestigious national race.
Short and spectator-friendly circuits will host races – featuring the likes of London 2012 gold medallists Steven Burke and Commonwealth Games champions Ross Edgar, born in Newmarket – at 7pm, coming at the end of a day of cycling themed activities and events.
Highlights of the race will be shown on ITV4.
Councillor Colin Noble, Suffolk County Council’s cabinet member for responsible for sport, said “After such an exciting summer of sport in 2012, events like these continue to inspire people to get active themselves. I hope The Tour Series will encourage people to get out on their own bikes and help us on our way to making Suffolk the most active county in England.”
Emma Hibbert, head of corporate affairs for Adnams. “Adnams is delighted to sponsor the final stages of The Tour Series.”
- 1 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 2 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 10 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
The Tour Series is a unique team-based series, pitting 10 of Britain’s leading teams against each other, with the all-important team victory on the night being the ultimate goal in the 11-round Series.
Ipswich joins Aylsham in Norfolk as well as Colchester, Kirkcaldy, Redditch, Torquay as rounds officially announced by organisers SweetSpot Group.
The full 2013 calendar will be revealed next week.