Ipswich/Doncaster/London: Could you offer ITFC fanatic James Miller a lift to Doncaster in exchange for free ticket?
An Ipswich Town fanatic is so determined to see his favourite side play on Boxing Day he is prepared to hitch-hike across the country.
James Miller, of Tottenham Road, London, said he had even considered hiring a helicopter to get him to the Doncaster versus Ipswich match on December 26.
Instead, the retired businessman, who lived in Suffolk for 40 years before moving to the capital, has vowed to hitch-hike to make sure he doesn’t miss the traditional festive fixture.
He said: “I had a stroke about three years ago which affected my eyesight and means I cannot drive. I think it is a disgrace there are no trains on Boxing Day.
“There must be lots of people who want to get to places but can’t. I can get a bus to the bottom of the A1 and I can hitch from there. I am very resourceful.”
Two years ago the ardent Blues supporter travelled to all the football grounds in England via public transport to raise money for Cancer Research UK and the pancreatic cancer unit at Liverpool hospital. He lost his wife and son to the disease.
He said: “I have seen every Ipswich match this year so far and there’s no way I am going to miss this match.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 2 Firefighters tackle large blaze near Suffolk recycling centre
- 3 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 4 Popular carnival's firework display cancelled
- 5 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 6 Road closed as emergency services called to single-vehicle crash
- 7 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 8 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 9 Fire crews extinguish large playing field fire in Suffolk village
- 10 Suffolk letting agent admits swindling customers out of £80,000
James said he would appreciate a lift from London to Doncaster and back again if anyone is able to offer one.
He added: “I have in fact bought two tickets, so there is one for my driver. Any assistance would be appreciated.”
The Tractor Boys are currently riding high with fans after one of the best starts to the season in years. And with an unbeaten run over the last five games there is a strong feel good factor around Mick McCarthy’s side.
Season ticket holder James said: “I saw the Ramsey side and I have been a supporter for a lot of years.
“I have been to all the home games this year and I have watched Ipswich play at Wigan, Sheffield, Blackpool, Bolton, and Nottingham.
“The best match was the Blackpool match, we won 3-2. The players have done well this year. It has been lots of fun going to every match.”
If you can help James please call him on 07860243707 or email email@example.com