Ipswich: Dope-smoking burglar back in jail for South Close and Cardigan Street break-ins

IPSWICH: A dope-smoking burglar with a gambling habit is back in jail today after adding to his shameful criminal record.

Less than a year after Tyren Brooks was imprisoned for three years for being part of the self-styled ‘Nacton Sickheads’ gang which committed in excess of 170 crimes, the 21-year-old quickly returned to his old ways.

Brooks, of Elliott Street, Ipswich, pleaded guilty at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday to two burglaries during which cars with a total value of �60,000 were taken.

The first break-in occurred in South Close, Ipswich, on October 27 last year.

Brooks stole a television, handbag and the keys to a grey 2009-registered Audi estate, valued at approximately �25,000.

You may also want to watch:

He then burgled another property in Cardigan Street, Ipswich, on December 8.

On that occasion, Brooks took jewellery, a purse, digital cameras and the keys to a black 2008-registered BMW Sport worth �35,000. Two counts of theft of a motor vehicle were not pursued.

Most Read

After hearing that Brooks was pleading guilty before trial, Judge Rupert Overbury sentenced him to 32 months in prison.

Brooks’ latest jail term followed his sentencing with six other co-defendants at Ipswich Crown Court in December 2009.

The gang admitted more than 170 burglaries, thefts, and attempted thefts between them.

Their crime spree targeted homes and businesses across Suffolk, and into Norfolk and Essex.

The haul they netted was valued at more than �335,000 and included electrical goods, cars and, in one case, wedding rings from a house in Copdock.

Three of the ‘Nacton Sickheads’ even conspired to carry out in excess of 50 more burglaries, thefts, or attempted thefts while on crown court bail for around 120 other offences.

Brooks and the others admitted conspiring to burgle and steal.

At the time, Brooks had committed 22 previous offences, including dishonesty. He already had a record for handling stolen goods and burglary, before joining the conspiracy to fund a heavy gambling habit and to get money for his cannabis use.

Brooks admitted he had taken part in the conspiracy between January 1 and January 29, 2009.

However, he was jailed for 21 weeks on January 14, 2009, after being caught following a police chase across Ipswich on January 13.

Brooks was subsequently arrested for failing to attend three probation appointments after he was released the previous November from a 14-week stretch at a young offenders’ institution.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus