Woman taken to hospital after reports of person in the water
- Credit: Archant
A woman has been taken to hospital after emergency services responded to reports of a person in the water.
A road closure was put in place at Princes Street Bridge in Ipswich for around two hours while police and fire services attended the scene.
A Suffolk police spokesman confirmed they were called just after 4.25pm following concerns for a woman's safety, after she was seen in the water.
The woman has been taken to Ipswich Hospital by ambulance and the road closure lifted.
Alongside police and paramedics, crews from Ipswich East, Woodbridge, and Princes Street attended the scene.
The air ambulance was also in the area.
One eyewitness said they saw several police cars on the bridge at Princes Street and that officers are directing people through another route to reach Ipswich train station.
- 1 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 2 14 players that could solve Town's left-sided problem
- 3 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 4 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
- 5 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 6 Man left with head injury after attack in seaside town
- 7 Former Suffolk poultry farm site could be converted into homes
- 8 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 9 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
- 10 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
Another eye witness who had got off the train at Ipswich station said: "I was coming out of the station and saw the commotion.
"There was loads of emergency vehicles and a police car blocking off the road."
Earlier on Wednesday afternoon, Suffolk police initially said: "Road closures are currently in place at Princes Street Bridge in Ipswich following an incident.
"Emergency services are at the scene."
Fire crews were called to nearby College Street just after 4.25pm to reports of a woman in the water.