Ipswich: Former Grinning Rat landlord to take over Arboretum following controversial pub eviction
- Credit: Archant
A landlord controversially evicted from a gay-friendly bar has revealed he is taking over and reopening a shut-down town centre pub tomorrow.
Former Grinning Rat landlord James Iannone, who failed in his bid to remain at the popular pub after Punch Taverns won an Ipswich County Court ruling on July 11, has spoken of his delight after being handed the keys to the Arboretum.
The 37-year-old was embroiled in a drawn out legal dispute after the tenants told him in April he had just a week to move out to make way for a new landlord.
Mr Iannone maintains he transformed the pub into a “thriving, gay-friendly community pub” after signing a Tenancy at Will contract with a view to extending the deal to a five-year tenancy agreement with Punch Taverns in January.
He gained the backing of the Ipswich and East Suffolk branch of the Campaign for Real Ale and more than 700 people signed an online petition in his support.
You may also want to watch:
Punch Taverns said at the time his short-term agreement was on a temporary basis, giving the right for either party to withdraw at immediate notice.
But now Mr Iannone has told of his delight in taking over the reins at the Arboretum in High Street.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 5 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 6 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 7 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 8 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
He has signed a long-term privately-owned lease at the pub which closed three months ago. It reopens tomorrow at 6pm.
Mr Iannone said: “Following the success of The Grinning Rat, we are pleased to announce the opening of a new venture at the Arboretum on Saturday at 6pm.
“The Arboretum will be a pub/wine bar and food will become available as soon as possible after kitchen work is completed which will compliment our fine selection of beers.
“We are looking forward to welcoming old and new customers alongside our established LGBT clientele. We look forward to welcoming everyone at the Arboretum.”