Ipswich/Gran Canaria: Boyfriend will stand trial for Sarah Shields’s murder in Gran Canaria
THE trial of a man accused of murdering his girlfriend will take place on the Spanish island where her body was discovered.
Sarah Shields’s body was found off the coast of Gran Canaria in July 2010.
Days after she failed to return home with boyfriend Christopher Chittock, he was arrested on suspicion of her murder.
In September 2010 a European Arrest Warrant was executed and Chittock was flown to Spain, where he has been in custody since.
Today Miss Shields’s mum Angela told The Star the family finally been told the location for the trial, in February, after speculation it could be conducted on the mainland.
You may also want to watch:
The prosecution allege Miss Shields, pictured, was beaten and strangled to death before her naked body was dumped in the sea after she allegedly made contact with her ex-boyfriend on Facebook.
Mrs Shields, of Ramsgate Drive, Ipswich, said Ipswich MP Ben Gummer has been “very supportive” and had vowed to help the family find an interpreter.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 3 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 6 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 7 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 10 Former Town loanee joins McCarthy's Cardiff side
She said: “We want to hear what happened to our Sarah.
“It won’t bring her back, but we just want to see justice done.”