Great East Run cancelled for second year after Covid concerns
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Organisers of the popular Great East Run in Ipswich have made the "difficult decision" to cancel this year's event.
The half marathon that normally attracts thousands of runners from across Suffolk was meant to take place on Sunday, September 26.
A spokesman for the Great East Run, said: "We have had to make the difficult decision to cancel this year’s Great East Run.
"Unfortunately, some specific operational challenges relating to the availability of suppliers, and changes to our wider calendar of events due to the impact of Covid-19, mean we are unable to deliver the event this year."
The route of the run in previous years sees the runners start in Ipswich town centre, before taking them past the Ipswich waterfront, under the Orwell Bridge before a grand finish at Ipswich Town Football Ground.
This now means the event has been cancelled two years in a row after the 2020 Great East Run, which was due to be held last September, was cancelled as coronavirus restrictions meant it was "impossible" to guarantee participants' safety.
Jack Shepard, from Ipswich, who was planning to take part in the run as part of his training for the London Marathon, said: “I was very disappointed to get the news, I am due to run the Great North Run and the London Marathon this year as well.”
You may also want to watch:
Alex Wilden, from Great Blakenham, said he was "gutted" that the event was cancelled.
Mr Wilden added: "I’ve been training for this, London Landmarks Half Marathon and also the London Marathon for this year. Two years running this has been put off and I can’t understand why."
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 5 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 6 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 7 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 8 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 9 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 10 Wanted man arrested in Suffolk village
Anyone who entered the event will be given a full refund.
Organisers have said there will be more information on the 2022 Great East Run in November.