Ipswich/Hollesley: Mum of missing teen Luke Durbin speaks of the ‘very dark days’ following two arrests in connection to his disappearance
MUM of missing teenager Luke Durbin has spoken out for the first time since two men were arrested and bailed in relation to the investigation.
Nicki Durbin posted a message on social networking website Facebook this morning, thanking people for their support and urging anyone with information to contact the police.
Luke, of Hollesley, was reported missing to police by his mother on May 13, 2006.
The then 19-year-old had gone out for the evening with friends on Thursday, May 11, 2006 in Ipswich and did not return home.
Today, Ms Durbin said: “As I am sure you can imagine, the last few days have been horrendous for my family.
“It has brought up feelings from six years ago but at the same time how I have felt during these past six years has never changed. Luke is here all the time in my heart and in my mind.
“I think of him every hour of every day and that has - and will - never change because I think that is self preservation to a degree.
- 1 'It's a contractual issue' - McKenna explains Simpson recall
- 2 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 3 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 4 'It was worth it!' - Town co-owner has a celebration scar
- 5 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 6 'I lost my patience... that's how I roll' - Holt apology for 'derogatory' Morsy comments
- 7 Stu says: Seven observations following Wimbledon win
- 8 'We were harshly beaten' - Dons boss on Town defeat
- 9 'I'm almost getting fed goals on a plate... there's no better feeling' - Town match-winner Burns loving life at Ipswich
- 10 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
“It has just been an absolute nightmare for my family.
“I think what is hard to understand is that over the past six years, my family have had to regain some sense of normality – we have just had to.
“I think all credit goes to the major investigation team. They have just been working so diligently and they have kept me informed through it all. I just wish they had been involved in the case from the beginning.
“I can’t fault the way they have worked with me. They knew it was going to be hard for my family.
“I have to thank everyone who has supported us, everyone for their phone calls, e-mails, messages - because those messages have brought comfort in these dark days.”
The 40-year-old man arrested on suspicion of the murder of Luke Durbin and the 25-year-old man arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the murder have been bailed to return to the Martlesham police investigation centre on September 18 and October 16 respectively.
Detectives were granted an extension allowing them to hold the 40-year-old suspect, who was arrested at a property in Spring Road, Ipswich, on Wednesday morning, and the 25-year-old man, in custody while they carried out further inquiries.
Extensive enquiries have taken place over the past six years and in 2010 the investigation was taken over by the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team.
Earlier this year, police released previously unpublished CCTV pictures of Luke, believing it would help to find out what happened to Luke.
The search for Luke was taken on by the major investigation team around two years ago.
In recent months, investigators have searched railway lines, retraced the route he is believed to have taken and searched an area surrounding Foxhall Stadium, near Ipswich, where someone reported seeing Luke. An address in Ipswich has also been searched.
New footage of Luke approaching a taxi just after midnight in Cardinal Park has been reviewed and released to the public in the hope that it would trigger someone’s memory.
Among the areas where officers have conducted inquiries was the bus station in Ipswich town centre, where Mr Durbin was captured on CCTV at 4am on Friday, May 12 as well as the area of Quay Side in Woodbridge.