Hospital cancer ward refurbishment will offer patients ‘lighter and more modern’ environment
- Credit: Archant
Refurbishment of an Ipswich Hospital cancer ward is due to start this weekend.
Somersham Ward is set for works to take place from Saturday until mid-November, with patients moved temporarily to Waveney Ward in the maternity block.
Laura Mallett, matron for cancer services at Ipswich Hospital, said it was hoped the work would offer patients a lighter and more modern environment.
“There’s a lot happening to brighten and lighten the ward to bring it up to where it needs to be.
“The floor’s being ripped up and repaired, the ceiling and lighting will be replaced and everywhere will be redecorated.
You may also want to watch:
“We also have some charitable funds to rip out and replace the showers with wet rooms to improve accessibility for patients and improve patient experience.”
Somersham Ward Support Group volunteers are providing funding and time to complete the project.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
On the day of the move, the hospital is asking no visitors, other than family carers, to attend until lunchtime.
The main ward numbers will stay the same – 01473 704900 or 01473 704901 – although some of the office numbers will change.