Ipswich: Investigation launched after man rescued from flat fire

A MAN has been plucked to safety from a burning flat by firefighters.

AN INVESTIGATION has been launched into a suspicious flat fire in Ipswich last night that left one man in hospital.

The middle-aged man was helped to safety by firefighters following the blaze at a second-floor flat in St Matthew’s Street, which started at just after 7.30pm.

Speaking at the scene, lead officer Station Manager Andy English said the fire had began in the entrance to the flat and firefighters wearing breathing equipment had to break down the door to get through to the man.

“Three appliances were sent and when the first turned up the man was seen at the window of the flat, trapped, and crews made contact with him,” he said.

You may also want to watch:

“Two teams of firefighters wearing breathing apparatus gained access to the front door and made access to the flat and led the man to safety.”

Station Manager English said the flat had been filled with smoke and the man was seen by paramedics once he was outside.

Most Read

He added: “He was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics and was taken to accident and emergency but he was OK. The origin of the fire is believed to be suspicious and a fire investigation will be undertaken as soon as possible.”

The flames were out quite quickly but the flat was badly damaged by the large amount of smoke the blaze produced.

Scenes of crime officers from Suffolk Constabulary were in the flat last night along with fire experts to try to establish the cause of the blaze and the investigation is set to continue today.

People in several neighbouring flats were evacuated during the drama while others returning home from work were told to wait before entering their properties.

One eyewitness, Abz Miah, described seeing “6ft-high” flames coming from the windows and the front door of the flat being engulfed.

Mr Miah, who works in PFC takeaway and used his camera phone to take pictures of the blaze, added: “The guy inside was taken off in an ambulance. It was a pretty big fire.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus