Ipswich: Man, 20, dies after alleged pub brawl at The Smock
A 20-YEAR-old man who sustained serious head injuries in an alleged brawl outside an Ipswich pub died today.
The man, named locally as Simon Cowles, had been critically ill since he is understood to have hit his head on the pavement outside The Smock in Maidenhall Approach early on Sunday morning.
Mr Cowles, who lived in The Foyer in Star Lane, Ipswich, died in Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge just before 7am today.
The joint Norfolk and Suffolk police major investigation team are currently looking into the circumstances surrounding Mr Cowles’ death.
A post mortem is scheduled to take place later today. However, the results are not expected until tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
Although police have not released Mr Cowles’ identity, last night staff at The Foyer - which houses and trains young people - said they were aware of the situation.
Two men who were arrested after Mr Cowles sustained his injuries were released on police bail yesterday pending further enquiries.
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 6 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 10 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
The 35-year-old and 44-year-old men were detained early on Sunday on suspicion of assault early.
They must return to Ipswich police station on May 19.
Police were contacted at approximately 12:15am on Sunday following reports of a fight outside The Smock.
Although officers have not revealed how Mr Cowles sustained his injuries, is understood an altercation occurred after an incident which began inside the pub.
It is alleged an argument then carried on outside The Smock which led to Mr Cowles’ death.
Anyone with any information in relation to the incident is asked to contact Ipswich CID on 01473 613500.
- Did you know Mr Cowles? Would you like to pay a tribute? Call the newsdesk on 01473 324790 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org