Ipswich: Man, 53, charged with kidnap and indecent assault of woman in 1991
AN Ipswich man has been charged with the kidnap and indecent assault of a teenager in south-west Essex more than 21 years ago.
Phil Collins will appear before Basildon Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, October 17, for the first hearing in the case.
The charges relate to an incident in South Ockendon in 1991.
On the Bank Holiday Monday, May 27, a 19-year-old woman was sexually assaulted in Ayron Road.
Despite inquiries at the time, no one was ever convicted of the crime.
You may also want to watch:
The case was re-assessed by detectives from Essex Police’s Cold Case Investigation Unit earlier this year.
And yesterday, Collins, who is 53-years-old, was arrested by officers from the force. He was later charged with one count of indecent assault and one count of kidnap relating to the 1991 crime.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 3 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 4 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 5 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 6 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
The Ipswich Star understands Collins previously lived in Dickens Road in Ipswich, and had been a resident of the town for several years.
When Collins appears before magistrates next week, the charges will be formerly put to him.
It is likely the case will be committed to Basildon Crown Court and the case adjourned.
A spokesman for Essex Police said: “The 53-year-old man of no fixed address will appear at Basildon Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, October 17.”