Ipswich: Man bailed as investigations continue into toddler death

Flora tributes left at Lovetofts Drive Recreation Ground, Ipswich, after the death of a toddler

Flora tributes left at Lovetofts Drive Recreation Ground, Ipswich, after the death of a toddler - Credit: Archant

A man who was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving following a collision involving a toddler in Ipswich has been bailed.

Inquiries are continuing into the death of the 20-month-old child, believed to be a boy, who was driven to Suffolk police’s Ipswich headquarters, Landmark House, after the incident on Tuesday.

Despite attempts to resuscitate him there, he was pronounced dead.

The incident happened at a playing field on the junction of Lovetofts Drive and Bramford Lane, where a group of travellers recently set up camp.

Floral tributes and written messages were brought to the scene yesterday as people living in the area paid their respects.

One message read: “From one mother to another, my heart goes out to you. We are not all the same”

Community leaders in the area also spoke of their shock and sadness last night.

Most Read

Borough councillor for Whitehouse ward, Albert Grant, described the incident as hard to take and very unfortunate.

He added: “I had an area committee meeting that night and the people that were there were concerned about what had happened. There were people that took flowers to the park.

“On behalf of the area, they have our deepest sympathies for their loss.”

In the wake of the death, officials from the police and borough council have met to try to ensure everything possible is done to support communities involved following Tuesday’s tragedy.

Speaking yesterday, a police spokeswoman said: “Police officers met with Ipswich council today to discuss what happened yesterday to ensure measures are in place both to support the family involved and the wider community.”

There have been concerns that the nature of the tragedy could lead to increased tensions – but officials feel that supporting the immediate family of the toddler who died is the most pressing issue.

Yesterday afternoon’s meeting was the most formal of a series of discussions that have taken place between council officials and senior officers since the incident – and community leaders are anxious to ensure that strong emotions do not boil over.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter