Ipswich: Man charged with arson after blaze at young mum’s home
IPSWICH: A man is to appear in court next week charged with endangering life when he allegedly set light to a young mother’s home.
Darius Rowe, of Defoe Road, Ipswich, is due before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court on Monday following a fire at a house in Leighton Square, Ipswich.
A spokeswoman for Ipswich police said the 26-year-old was charged with arson recklessly endangering life when he answered his bail late last week.
Rowe was arrested on Tuesday, September 21 on suspicion of starting the early morning fire, which occurred two days earlier.
He was questioned by officers at Ipswich police station and subsequently bailed the following day pending further enquiries.
You may also want to watch:
The blaze began between 4.30am and 8.30am on September 19.
After the fire residents in Leighton Square, Gainsborough, told how a young woman had returned to the property with her baby to find smoke coming from a first floor window.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 7 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
She went to a neighbour’s house to call the fire brigade shortly after 8.30am.
Around 15 firefighters from Princes Street and Colchester Road were sent to the house.
Debra Finch, 41, who lives opposite the property, said: “There was a lot of smoke. Thankfully there was nobody in there at the time.
“Our neighbour said she had come home to find smoke in the house and alerted her next-door neighbours, who called the fire brigade.
“They haven’t been living there long and they had just decorated the whole house and put new carpets in, so we feel bad for them.”