Ipswich: Man charged with drink driving after seven cars damaged in Norwich Road
- Credit: Archant
A 50-year-old man has been charged with drink-driving after a collision ended up with seven cars being damaged in Ipswich.
Mark Applin, of Steeles Road, Woolpit, was arrested following the incident in Norwich Road, near the YMCA, which occurred at around 11.30pm on Sunday.
A car was said to have been in collision with another vehicle. Applin’s car is then said to have collided with a further five vehicles as a result of the initial accident.
He was taken to Martlesham police investigation centre where he was charged yesterday.
Applin is due to appear before South East Suffolk Magistrates Court in Ipswich on December 23.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, in an unrelated incident, two police officers were lucky to escape uninjured after their car was confronted by another vehicle travelling along the wrong carriageway of the A14.
As a result the car the male officers were in ended up colliding with the central barrier after taking evasive action to avoid a crash.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 6 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 7 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 8 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 9 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 10 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
At the time they were said to have been responding to a report of an emergency.
Due to the incident happening so quickly and the time of day police have been unable to provide a description of the other vehicle involved.
The crash occurred on the Ipswich-bound carriageway near Bucklesham late on Sunday night.
Richard Jones, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary, said: “A Suffolk police car was driving along the west-bound carriageway near to the Seven Hills roundabout at around 11.30pm when a vehicle appeared travelling the wrong way on the carriageway.
“The police car had to take action to avoid the vehicle and collided with the central barrier. Two officers were inside the vehicle but neither was seriously injured.
“We are appealing for anyone who may have seen the vehicle to get in touch with us by telephoning 101.”