Ipswich: Man in his 20s remains in a critical condition after a derelict house fire in Ipswich

A house in Gippeswyk Road in Ipswich remained cordoned off yesterday

A house in Gippeswyk Road in Ipswich remained cordoned off yesterday - Credit: Archant

A man in his 20s was fighting for his life last night after he suffered serious burns and fractures when a fire ripped through a derelict house in Ipswich.

The fire in Gippeswyk Road Ipswich

The fire in Gippeswyk Road Ipswich

The man, 27, who is believed to be from eastern Europe, was forced to jump from a top floor window with another man, 41, as the blaze took hold of the building in Gippeswyk Road in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Firefighters, police and paramedics were sent to the scene at about 3am when the alarm was raised by a member of staff at a sheltered housing complex next to the house.

The pair, who were believed to be squatting in the property, were both taken to Ipswich Hospital – the 41-year-old is understood to have suffered minor injuries.

Tanzir Talukdhar, a support worker at the sheltered housing complex, run by Stepping Stones East, was among those who witnessed the blaze.

You may also want to watch:

He said: “I was in the office at about 3am and I could hear two people shouting and I could hear glass breaking. I went outside but couldn’t see anything but when I moved out I could see two guys on the street.

“I went back into the house, called the fire brigade, alerted some of the residents and came back out again.

Most Read

“The flames had actually gone up and were up to the top floor and the roof – I went back into the house, got everybody out of bed and went to the fire point.

“When I got out again I saw the windows cracking and the fire was coming out of it. It was strong and it was getting stronger and stronger.”

Two fire crews from Princes Street were sent to the blaze at about 3.05am. The fire started on the ground floor but then spread to the first floor and the roof.

The firefighters used a turntable ladder, two jets and a hose reel to bring the blaze under control.

A cordon was placed around the area for most of the day yesterday as an investigation was launched into the cause of the fire, which Suffolk police has described as suspicious.

Police are now appealing for anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area, or has any information, to contact them by calling 101.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus