Ipswich: Man sectioned after threatening to jump from Orwell Bridge
- Credit: citizenside.com
A man was been sectioned last night after threatening to throw himself off the Orwell Bridge.
Members of the public contacted Suffolk police at around 9.50pm when they became concerned for his safety.
Some attempted to talk the man out of jumping but when the police arrived at 10pm he was reportedly “hanging over the edge”.
Officers closed the bridge and tried to coax the man back to safety, however he was said to have attempted to run past and jump into the river.
Police apprehended the man, thought to be in his early 20s and from the Ipswich area, and he has since been sectioned under the mental health act.
You may also want to watch:
The Orwell Bridge reopened around 10.45pm.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 8 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn