Ipswich man stabbed his brother numerous times after he allegedly called their ill mother ‘a freak’, court told
- Credit: Archant
A 23-year-old man stabbed his brother multiple times in an Ipswich alleyway after he allegedly called their mother ‘a freak’, a court heard.
Shaun Webber, of Fore Street, Ipswich, denies grievous bodily harm and an alternative charge of unlawful wounding.
At the beginning of Webber’s Ipswich Crown Court trial prosecutor Jamie Sawyer told the jury: “Neither brother is an angel.”
Webber’s half brother Jamie was left needing surgery after being stabbed in the left side of his chest, his upper right arm, his body, liver, and forearms during an attack on July 6 last year. He suffered complications which ended with keyhole surgery and spent several days in hospital, the court heard.
Mr Sawyer said the brothers’ mother had been ill in hospital and when Jamie Webber went to visit on July 6 he left because she had apparently been acting strangely.
You may also want to watch:
Subsequently he received numerous texts and phone calls from Shaun Webber, who became more and more distressed.
On one occasion Jamie Webber is said to have referred to their mother as “a freak”, Mr Sawyer said.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Woman's body found in village home
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 5 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 6 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 7 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 8 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 9 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 10 Rapist subjected two children to 'unimaginable ordeal' over five years
As the day wore on Shaun Webber is alleged to have threatened his brother on a number of occasions.
He asked to meet up with his brother, who had gone to Solar Bowl in Ipswich with a female friend.
Between 5.15pm and 10.45pm Jamie Webber’s phone showed there had been 25 missed calls from Shaun Webber, who number was saved under the name ‘Bruv’.
The court was told Jamie Webber agreed to meet, but his brother did not turn up.
Jamie Webber went back to a flat in Sapphire Close where he lived.
After returning at around 10pm Mr Webber received another call from his half-brother asking to meet in the alleyway behind the flats.
When he did Shaun Webber was there with another man, the jury heard.
Jamie Webber noticed Shaun Webber was holding his right hand strangely and there was something glinting on the inside of his right wrist.
He then realised Shaun Webber was holding a silver metal blade in the crook of his elbow, Mr Sawyer said.
Shaun Webber became aggressive and is alleged to have struck his brother three or four times.
Jamie Webber was laying on the ground bleeding while his brother continued attacking him, stabbing him another two or three times, the court heard.
Jamie Webber tried to protect himself with his hands and arms.
Shaun Webber is said to headed off towards Solar Bowl, leaving his brother bleeding heavily.
The jury was told Shaun Webber maintains it was the other man who stabbed his brother, although Jamie Webber says this was not the case.
The case continues.