max temp: 13°C

min temp: 9°C


Ipswich man found guilty of rape after four-day trial

PUBLISHED: 12:36 23 March 2018 | UPDATED: 14:42 23 March 2018

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: SIMON PARKER

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: SIMON PARKER


An Ipswich man who was released from prison three years ago after serving a sentence for rape has been convicted of raping another female.

Before Ipswich Crown Court was Stephen Sherger, 53, of Derby Close, Ipswich, who denied seven offences of rape dating back more than a decade.

He was convicted by a jury of all the offences after a four-day trial. Sentence was adjourned for a pre-sentence report.

Andrew Oliver, prosecuting, saidthe rape offences before the court came to light after Sherger was released from prison in 2015 after he admitted raping another female.

As part of his licence conditions he was required to take part in a group sex offenders treatment programme in Ipswich and it was during one of these sessions he made comments which concerned probation officers and resulted in them notifying the police.

After speaking to the victim police officers interviewed Sherger who denied the allegations made by her.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

The harrowing consequences of poor driving have been laid bare by a police chief who says he is sick of seeing the carnage it causes.

People are being warned of rail delays after police attended to an incident involving ‘disruptive passengers’ on a Greater Anglia service.

Most Conservative MPs from this region continue to support the Prime Minister in the face of the Brexit storm – but accept that the Parliamentary numbers make it difficult to see how the deal announced on Wednesday can get through.

Firefighters now believe a blaze above a high street shop in Ipswich was started deliberately.

Police have closed an armed robbery case after failing to identify a suspect.

As the country pulls together for Children in Need, one Ipswich business is raising funds by encouraging employees to bring a few cuddly friends to work.

An alcoholic accused of murdering a homeless man whose badly beaten body was found in the stairwell of a Colchester car park has told a court that the victim was still alive when he and his two co-defendants left him.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24