Ipswich: Multi-marathon run is fundraiser for charity
Completing one marathon is a challenging prospect and a worthy achievement for most people.
But for Ipswich resident Tendai Simbai 26 miles is simply not enough and the 7ft Zimbabwean is attempting to run the equivalent three marathons for charity today.
The 32-year-old left Africa nine years ago to play basketball in the UK but has never forgotten the poverty and struggle of the countrymen he left behind.
And, in an attempt to offer financial help, he is being sponsored to run almost 80 miles – and all the proceeds are going to the Zimbabwe Benefit Foundation.
Mr Simbai was due to begin his triple marathon at 2am this morning on London’s Tower Bridge.
You may also want to watch:
He was planning to be on his epic journey back to Ipswich and was expecting to complete his challenge at the Sir Bobby Robson statue outside Ipswich Town’s Portman Road stadium between 5pm and 6pm this evening.
Motivating Mr Simbai is the children he met on a trip to Zimbabwe’s neighbouring country Zambia last summer.
- 2 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 3 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 4 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 5 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 6 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Judge tells jury majority verdict allowed
- 10 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
“These kids go home and they have no food,” he said.
“If you see how little these kids have, you realise running three marathons is nothing.”
He added: “They face years of suffering, mine will be just one day.”
As well as running nearly 80 miles to raise money for the Zimbabwe Benefit Foundation, Tendai is organising a shoe collection for the children he met in Zambia, to help them follow in his footsteps and take up sport.
To follow Tendai’s progress, find out more and sponsor his Great Big Run for Zimbabwe, visit www.justgiving.com/greatbigrun or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.