Two people charged with murder after death of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
PUBLISHED: 01:47 07 June 2018 | UPDATED: 13:21 14 June 2018
Two people, including a 16-year-old boy, have been charged with murder in connection with the death of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens in Ipswich.
Suffolk Constabulary confirmed the teenage suspect from Colchester and co-defendant, 22-year-old Aristote Yenge, of no fixed abode from Ipswich, have both been charged with murder and remanded in custody.
They are due to appear before magistrates in Ipswich later today, Thursday.
Police also arrested a further two people yesterday, a 17-year-old boy in Stowmarket and a 23-year-old man in Ipswich, on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, a Suffolk police spokesman said.
Officers were contacted at 4.50pm on Saturday, June 2 to reports that a young man had been stabbed in Packard Avenue.
The victim, Tavis Spencer-Aitkens, was taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment where he later died from his injuries.
A Home Office post-mortem examination concluded he had died from a single stab wound.
Tavis had been walking away from the shops in Queen’s Way when he was approached by two males on bicycles who attacked him. They were then joined by four to five other males who assaulted him further, all the offenders then left the scene.
The total number of arrests in the murder investigation now stands at eight.
Yesterday afternoon, Wednesday, June 6, police in Ipswich carried out a warrant in the Whitehouse area of the town and arrested a 23-year-old man on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.
A 17-year-old boy was also arrested in Stowmarket on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.
The Constabulary spokesman added: “They have both been taken into police custody for questioning.
“In total, five other people have also been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, this includes the two people that have now been charged with murder.
“A 41-year-old man arrested on Saturday, June 2 has been released on police bail until Wednesday, July 4, as has a 20-year-old man and an 18-year-old man.
“A 36-year-old woman from Essex was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender on Tuesday, June 5 and was released under investigation after being questioned.”
As part of ongoing work to reassure the public in Ipswich, a police presence remains in place between the junction of Packard Avenue and Rand’s Way.
A mobile police station will also be staffed at various locations across the town throughout this month, and officers will continue to conduct additional patrols in the vicinity of the attack and across Ipswich.
Officers are also maintaining an ongoing dialogue with community leaders to address the concerns of people living and working in the area and to assist in reassuring the community.
Detectives are continuing their appeal for anyone who witnessed anything that night to come forward.
They are particularly appealing for anyone with CCTV, dash cam, or mobile phone footage, who were in the area of Queen’s Way, Packard Avenue, Rands Way or Kingsway, between 12pm and 7.45pm on June 2 to make contact.
“Heartbroken” relatives of the teenager also made an emotional appeal yesterday for any witnesses, or anyone with information to contact police.
Tavis’ mother Sharon Box and step-mother Helen Forbes faced the media at a press conference at Suffolk police headquarters in Martlesham, with a photo of Tavis and his twin brother Tyler on the table in front of them.
His mother, who was too upset to speak, had her words read by a family liaison officer.
She said the loss of Tavis had “devastated” the family and appealed for anyone with information to come forward, adding: “I appreciate you may be concerned yourself, but please understand the pain our family is going through.”
“Tavis was our world,” she said. “He meant everything to us.
“We will remember him as having a lovely soul.
“He was a well-mannered, polite young man.
“He was cheeky, outgoing, he loved his drill music and was a talented footballer.
“He was truly loved and is truly missed.”
She said he was taken “unnecessarily, needlessly and cruelly” and his family is “heartbroken”.
Tavis’ step-mother Helen Forbes, who sat beside his mother, began to read her own statement before having to let a family liaison officer take over, wiping tears from her eyes.
“Tavis was only 17,” she said. “He should have had his whole life in front of him.
“He should have had the chance to have a family of his own.”
She added: “The violence has got to stop before it breaks even more hearts, just like it has broken mine.
“I don’t want other parents to feel the heartache and pain that we are feeling at this time.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Suffolk police major investigation team, preferably by uploading information to the online portal at https://mipp.police.uk/operation/804 or by dialling 101 and quoting reference 30192/18.
Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.