Ipswich: Murder probe police are given extra time
MURDER squad detectives have up until tonight to continue questioning four people suspected of killing a man in his Ipswich flat.
Although the police believe the deceased is 45-year-old Martin Edwards they were forced to put out an appeal yesterday after failing to find any next-of-kin.
Mr Edwards was found dead in his ground-floor flat at Piper’s Court in Old Foundry Road, on Christmas Day.
Yesterday morning the three men and a woman arrested on suspicion of murder were taken to Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court in a convoy of police vehicles where officers applied for an extension to the suspects’ custody time limit.
They then returned to Ipswich police station where the suspects were questioned throughout the day.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Jones, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary, confirmed police believe they know the identity of the deceased, but still need to find his relatives.
He said: “It is believed to be the body of 45-year-old Martin Edwards, who was a resident of flats in Old Foundry Road, though formal identification is yet to take place.
- 1 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 4 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 5 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 6 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 7 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 8 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 9 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 10 Comedian Jack Whitehall visits Suffolk's 'most incredible' Wilderness Reserve
“It is thought Mr Edwards may have family in Suffolk but officers are also looking at the possibility that he may have links in the Surrey area.
“The death is currently being treated as suspicious and four people have been arrested on suspicion of murder.
“A 28-year-old man, a 37-year-old man, a 51-year-old man and a 36-year-old woman, all from Ipswich, are currently in custody at Ipswich police station.”
Officers were told they have a further 36 hours from 10.25am yesterday to continue questioning the suspects.
A post mortem examination has been carried out on Mr Edwards, but police have said the cause of death will not be revealed until his relatives are informed.
If you have any information that may help trace one of Mr Edwards’s relatives telephone Suffolk police on 01473 613500.