Ipswich: Pair jailed for life for murder of man in Ipswich park – duo must serve a combined minimum of 35 years
- Credit: Contributed
A couple who murdered a man in an Ipswich park have today been jailed for life.
The body of 35-year-old Christopher Thompson was found in Chantry Park in Ipswich last November.
Christopher Wilson, 34, and Deanna Stanton, 27, both of no fixed address, were found guilty of his murder by a jury at Ipswich Crown Court last week.
Today, they were jailed for life. Wilson must serve a minimum of 20 years, while Stanton must serve a minimum of 15 years.
During today’s hearing, Judge John Devaux described Wilson as having the primary role in the killing and Stanton being an “aider and abetter”.
He said the motive for the killing had not been established during the trial but a financial reason was a possibility, as was sexual jealousy.
Judge Devaux said there was no doubt that Christopher Thompson met his death after a prolonged assault which must have caused mental and physical suffering, despite his intoxicated condition.
- 1 A14 westbound closed after car catches fire
- 2 Council has 'no plans' to alter verge cutting schedule in Suffolk
- 3 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 4 'There are still areas we want to improve' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 5 'Eyesore' Suffolk seafront hotel for sale for £2million
- 6 Town in negotiations with Aberdeen over Hladky sale
- 7 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 8 Plans for 5 'very large homes' in Suffolk village turned down
- 9 Ipswich Town appoint new Academy Manager
- 10 Stuart Taylor sacked by Hamilton
“I am satisfied that the intention was to kill him and not simply to cause him really serious injury,” said the judge.
Speaking after the pair were found guilty last week, Mr Thompson’s younger sister Nicci, 33, said: “Whatever sentence they get is never going to be enough as far as we are concerned.”
His 61-year-old mother Liz added: “We are in shock and cannot believe another human being could do this to Chrissy.
“It is absolutely senseless and the suffering he would have endured haunts us to this day. We will never recover from the loss of Chrissy, and the pain this has caused our family will never leave us.”