Ipswich/Peterborough: Watches and wedding ring stolen from Portman Road dressing room were worth nearly �12,500
THE total value of the two watches and a wedding ring stolen from Peterborough United’s dressing room at Portman Road came to nearly �12,500, it has emerged.
An investigation is under way after three players had the personal possessions stolen during Posh’s 1-1 draw with Ipswich Town on Saturday.
A Rolex watch belonging to midfielder George Thorne is understood to be worth �6,900, while 18-year-old substitute striker Jonson Clarke-Harris also had his �4,000 watch stolen.
Defender Gabriel Zakuani, who was also on the bench, had his �1,500 wedding taken.
Although Peterborough manager Darren Ferguson has been reported has saying he did not hold Ipswich responsible, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said it must keep all options open during the investigation.
You may also want to watch:
As is routine during investigations of this kind staff at Portman Road have been spoken to, and closed-circuit television will form part of the investigation.
A police officer was called to the changing rooms at around 6pm after the items were found to be missing following Saturday’s match.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 4 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 9 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 10 Audi and Jaguar crash into central reservation on A12 at Copdock
Afterwards Zakuani expressed his disgust over the theft of his wedding band on the social media site Twitter.
The 26-year-old Congolese international said: “Whoever stole my wedding ring is such a tramp” and “Sad when you can’t leave things in the changing room”.
An Ipswich Town Football Club spokesman said: “Police were in attendance at the game anyway but were asked to investigate allegations that a number of items, namely two watches and a wedding ring, were taken from the Peterborough United dressing room.
A spokesman for Peterborough United said he was unable to make any comment as the thefts were subject to a criminal inquiry.