Ipswich: Police station set to move to Museum Street
- Credit: Archant
A NEW central police station for the town centre is due to open within the next few months.
The current police station in Elm Street is now largely empty after most of the police staff – both uniformed and civilian –moved to the new offices at Landmark House on the edge of town last autumn.
Only a few offices in the building are now open – providing a public face for the police in the town centre and serving as a base for the town centre Safer Neighbourhood Team.
Now the police are hoping to move into a new office in Museum Street, just a few yards from its junction with Westgate Street.
Police officials are holding talks with planning officers from the borough council to ensure that the planning application has a reasonably smooth passage.
However there is not yet any date yet set for it to be discussed by members of the borough’s planning and development committee.
Suffolk police and crime commissioner Tim Passmore said it was important to have a town centre site that was clearly recognised by the public.
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 North Stander: We are where we deserve to be... and the play-offs look a long way off
He said: “The office will be very near the main shopping street of the town centre and we hope that everything will go through relatively smoothly.
“If things go as well as hoped, we may get it up and running by July. We shall just have to see how things go.”
The move to Museum Street would complete the police reorganisation of its role in the town centre.
While administrative duties have been transferred to Landmark House, suspects are now held and questioned at the Police Investigation Centre at Martlesham Heath.