Ipswich: Police tell motorists to lock their cars and take valuables out of view after vehicle crime spree
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Motorists in Ipswich are faced with huge repair bills after dozens of cars were damaged and broken into this week.
A total of 18 cars were damaged and a further seven broken into in the town in just a few days.
Between 4pm on Tuesday and 10am yesterday, six cars had tyres damaged in Ranelagh Road and two cars in Broomwade Close.
Between 1.30am and 1.50am yesterday in Nelson Road, seven cars were damaged; five of these had a tyre slashed and two had two tyres damaged. One car also in Boston Road had a tyre slashed.
A man on a bicycle was seen acting suspiciously in the area around the time and was described as white, in his early twenties and was described as short.
You may also want to watch:
He had light coloured hair and was a wearing a light coloured hooded top, dark coloured trousers and light coloured trainers.
These are also being linked to an incident in Alexandra Road between 3pm on Sunday and 7am yesterday, where all four tyres on a car were slashed and an incident in Cardiff Avenue, between 10.30pm on Sunday October and 10am the following morning, where two tyres and a car’s paint work were damaged.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 3 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 6 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 9 Village pub given go-ahead to expand dining area
- 10 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
Anyone with information or recognises the man described is asked to contact Pc Terry O’Neill on 101 quoting reference IE/14/2976, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
In east Ipswich seven cars were broken into between 12noon on Monday and 11am yesterday.
Cars were targeted in Lonsdale Close, Westbury Road, Bloomfield Street, Loganberry Road, Brunswick Road, Leopold Road and Lattice Avenue.
Items, including prescription drugs and cash were stolen from some of the vehicles.
Inspector Jane Coe, local policing commander for Ipswich North East, is urging motorists to take action to prevent their vehicles from becoming a target for thieves.
She said: “By ensuring that your vehicle is locked and secure and removing any property from inside, motorists will greatly reduce their chances of becoming a victim of this type of crime.
“It is important to remove all items from view, not just valuables, as a thief will still take the chance on breaking-in and stealing anything that they believe may be worth taking.”
Anyone with information relating to these crimes should contact Ipswich police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
Police are advising drivers to take simple steps to protect their vehicles by shutting car windows when parked and keeping the doors locked.