Ipswich: Powerlifter Zoe Newson awarded honorary fellowship of UCS at Corn Exchange graduation ceremony
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
A Suffolk powerlifter who competed at last year’s London Paralympic Games has been awarded an honorary fellowship.
Zoe Newson received her award from University Campus Suffolk today at a graduation ceremony along with hundreds of other graduates.
Zoe, who is 21 and picked up a bronze medal at last year’s Games, used to go to school in East Bergholt.
Zoe, who trains with Suffolk Spartans, said: “I was quite shocked but I’m honoured to be chosen. When I first opened the letter I was shocked but I felt proud.
“For my speech I’m just going to see what comes out, I prefer to do it as a spur of the moment thing.
You may also want to watch:
“My friends and family have always been behind and they were very pleased for me.”
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 6 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 7 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 8 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
- 9 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 10 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts