Ipswich: Royal Anglians say thanks to town after Homecoming Parade
Members of the Royal Anglian Regiment have written to thank the local community for the support they received during the Homecoming Parade through Ipswich last week.
The soldiers, from the 1st Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment (the Vikings), have just completed what should be their final tour of duty in Afghanistan before the last British troops are withdrawn in 2014.
The letter says: “The Royal Anglian Regiment would like to thank Ipswich Borough Council and the people of Ipswich for the magnificent support and warm welcome given to the soldiers of our 1st Battalion –The Vikings – at their Homecoming Parade on the 5th November.
“Our soldiers saw, with their own eyes, the thousands of well wishers on the streets, which will be their lasting memory of a truly great day.
“This generosity of spirit, given by all sections of the community, mattered greatly to The Regiment and has been most humbling.
You may also want to watch:
“The outpouring of goodwill has strengthened further the morale of our soldiers and made them feel that they, and the difficult job that they are called upon to do, are both valued and appreciated by the nation they strive to serve.
“We recruit our soldiers from you.
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 3 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 4 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 6 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 7 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 8 'Keep the faith' - Town fans on poor start and what needs to change
- 9 Mike Bacon: Oh, what have we done to deserve this?
- 10 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
“They are your sons, your brothers, your husbands, your fathers, your cousins, your nephews and your uncles.
“So your kindness and support has strengthened this special bond between the people of Ipswich and their county infantry regiment. We salute you.”
n Did you take to the streets for the Homecoming Parade? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or you can send an e-mail to starletters @archant.co.uk