Ipswich: Shoplifter who stole alcohol from Sainsbury’s is jailed after third offence in less than two months
- Credit: Contributed
A shoplifter has been jailed by Ipswich magistrates after his third conviction in just over a month.
Romanian Ionut Dragnea was only believed to have been in the country for three months when he targeted Sainsbury’s in Upper Brook Street, Ipswich, on Saturday, January 27.
The 21-year-old is understood to have entered the store with another man.
Dragnea was seen to get a hessian Bag For Life before looking around the shelves where the alcohol is kept.
His behaviour raised the suspicions of security staff, as did that of the other man who they thought might have been acting as a lookout.
You may also want to watch:
Dragnea was then seen to put six bottles of alcohol in his bag.
The total value came to £175.80.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
He was then seen walking out of the store without attempting to pay for the items.
Dragnea was stopped by security staff when he got outside the store.
Police arrested Dragnea at the scene after being alerted to him acting suspiciously in the shop.
The incident occurred just before 3.20pm.
The man who was thought to be with him was not detained as he had not committed any offence.
After being arrested Dragnea, of Ravensdale Road, Hounslow, was taken to the police investigation centre at Suffolk Constabulary’s Martlesham headquarters.
He was charged and appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates court where he pleaded guilty to theft of spirits from a shop.
Dragnea was given a total of 14 weeks’ imprisonment.
He received eight weeks for the shoplifting matter and a further six weeks to run concurrently for breaching a suspended sentence.
Dragnea was previously convicted of offences earlier in January and in December.
It is believed these occurred in at least one other county.