Ipswich: Shoppers take advantage of price cuts at town car parks
IPSWICH: The borough scheme to cut charges at most of its town centre car parks has helped to attract thousands of new shoppers.
Borough leader David Ellesmere said price cuts at four car parks had brought almost 20,000 new shoppers to the town centre since November.
Tariffs of £1 an hour apply to Crown car park, William Street (next to Crown Pools), the new Regent public car park in Woodbridge Road, Upper Barclay Street and Bond Street.
Crown alone has seen more than 14,000 extra customers since last November, while the Regent car park has welcomed an extra 2,550 since Christmas.
The new tariff was extended to William Street last month and an extra 2,500 people have parked there.The total of 19,588 extra customers applies to four of the car parks – it does not include Bond Street.
Mr Ellesmere said: “This is very good news as it shows that our cheap parking policy is attracting more people to the town centre.
“Clearly, we have no control over private operators but we have taken the lead and hope they will follow us.”
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 5 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 6 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 7 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 8 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 9 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 10 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
Ipswich central chief executive Paul Clement said: “We saw an increase in business in January and this kind of initiative is clearly good for the town.”
Have the new prices made Ipswich more attractive? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com