Ipswich/Suffolk: Blockbuster closes stores across region
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2013
THE collapsed DVD and games rental firm Blockbuster is to close 129 of its 528 shops and axe 760 workers in the coming weeks in the UK – with four confirmed closures across the region.
Two stores in Ipswich – Woodbridge Road and St Matthews Street – and Gold Street, Saffron Walden and Ipswich Street, Stowmarket are all set to close within the next few weeks, Blockbuster press office confirmed.
At this stage the Felixstowe Road store in Ipswich looks likely to remain open, but the Blockbuster press office are awaiting final confirmation.
Shops at Felixstowe, Colchester, Clacton-on-Sea, Lowestoft, Mildenhall, Newmarket, and Thetford are all set to remain open.
Administrators Deloitte said around 66 people are employed across Blockbuster stores in the region, and average around five a store.
Some 31 branches have already been put on notice of closure nationally, according to the company’s administrators Deloitte.
The move means the chain is already planning to close a quarter of its branches and make 18% of its workforce redundant.
- 1 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
- 2 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 3 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 4 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 5 Young driver crashes car just a week after passing
- 6 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 7 'Dream come true': Excitement as new salon opens in Woodbridge
- 8 'I'm not bothered... he can go' - Pearson on Town target Bakinson
- 9 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 10 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
Further details will follow shortly.