Ipswich: Teacher denies string of historic sex charges
AN Ipswich secondary school teacher and top athletics coach today denied a string of sex offences against girls under 18 dating back over a 21-year period.
Stephen Benson, of Pearsons Way, Copdock, pleaded not guilty to the charges when he appeared before Ipswich Crown Court.
The 50-year-old was suspended from his post at Copleston High School, Ipswich, after the allegations were made.
Benson has worked with athletes on the national and international stage over the years and was considered one of Suffolk’s top coaches.
During a brief hearing, he pleaded not guilty to 12 rapes, 14 indecent assaults, two sexual assaults and two counts of sexual activity with a child.
You may also want to watch:
The charges relate to incidents involving three female alleged victims who were aged under 18 at the time the alleged offences, between 1989 and 2010.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 9 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 10 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds