Ipswich: Teen admits Woodbridge death crash manslaughter charge

A TEENAGER today admitted manslaughter after a 20-year-old woman was killed in a crash near Woodbridge.

POLICE have branded the actions of a Suffolk teenager as “senseless” after he admitted killing a young woman in a car crash.

Investigating officer Pc Allie Cotton said Luke Burdakay’s complete disregard for safety had led to the death of Laureen Hammond.

Burdakay, of Birkfield Drive, Ipswich, pleaded guilty to manslaughter when he appeared before Ipswich Crown Court yesterday.

After the 19-year-old’s hearing, Pc Cotton, of Suffolk Constabulary’s serious collision investigation team, said: “This collision was caused by Luke Burdakay’s total disregard for the safety of others on the road and, as a result, a family have lost a loved one.

You may also want to watch:

“This was a senseless and needless collision caused solely by his actions.”

During Burdakay’s court appearance he also admitted a separate offence of attempted robbery at Trawler’s Catch fish and chip shop in Saxmundham, six days before the fatal crash.

Most Read

Witnesses reported a young man had burst into the premises on January 29, wielding a meat cleaver and demanding money. However Burdakay eventually fled empty-handed.

Miss Hammond, from Sutton, near Woodbridge, died at the scene of a collision between Burdakay’s Fiat Stilo and her Vauxhall Corsa on the B1083 near Sutton Hoo around 9.30pm on February 3. A Vauxhall Astra was also damaged. Shortly after the tragedy Miss Hammond’s family paid tribute to the former pupil of Deben High School in Felixstowe.

A statement issued through police read: “Lollie was a bright, caring girl who lived for her work and her family.

“We, as a family, are going to miss her humour and sparkle for life. Lollie, you will always be in our hearts and thoughts.”

Miss Hammond was a carer for the elderly at Glebe House, in Hollesley. She had also worked at Allonsfield House, in Campsea Ashe, near Wickham Market.

Her funeral was held last Friday at Seven Hills Crematorium in Nacton.

Burdakay was remanded in custody until his sentencing on March 31.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus