Ipswich: Tesco hopes to start work at Grafton Way in the spring
RETAIL giant Tesco hopes to start work on its long-awaited store in Grafton Way early next year.
The final piece of information the borough had asked for before the planning application is considered is now being sorted out – and should arrive at Grafton House before Christmas.
That should allow the council’s planning committee to consider the amended application at its meeting in January.
And the company says it hopes that will allow work to start on the site within a few weeks.
It has said in the past that it hopes the new supermarket – which would be smaller than the superstore originally proposed – could be open in time for Christmas next year.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the company said: “We continue to work with the planning authorities to obtain approval for some minor changes to our plans, and we hope to receive confirmation early in the New Year.
“Preparatory work on the site, including the demolition of the former B&Q warehouse, has now been underway for six weeks and will continue during the coming winter to make the site ready for construction.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 10 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
As well as a new Tesco supermarket, the site would also include two hotels, town houses, and smaller shop units.
The amended application was submitted to the borough in August and followed a controversial application for a more intensive development on the site which was approved by the former administration at the borough in 2010.
Will the new Tesco be good for the town? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com