Ipswich Town defender Tyrone Mings in court after being caught using his phone while driving
Ipswich Town star Tyrone Mings has been slapped with a fine and given three points on his licence after admitting using his mobile phone while driving.
The 21-year-old, of Purdis Farm Lane, Ipswich, was caught on his phone while driving his black Audi on the A1214 at Kesgrave on July 15.
In a statement read out at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court yesterday, Mings said: “I was turning my phone on after it had been playing up all morning. I realise I shouldn’t have done it while driving. I have hands-free, which I would usually use.
“I am in a position to pay a penalty if the court sees fit.”
District Judge Celia Dawson issued the Blues’ defender with three points on his licence and a £200 fine, plus £85 statutory surcharge and £20 in costs.
You may also want to watch:
Mings made his debut for the club in May 2013 and since then has been renowned for his kind gestures.
In July this year, after Town’s squad numbers for the 2014/15 season were announced, Mings offered to buy new shirts for two supporters who had already bought strips with his old number on the back.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 4 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 7 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview
And in 2013, the youngster, from Bath, bought two match tickets for a fan who couldn’t afford it after striking a conversation with him on Twitter.
Mings spent Tuesday’s game against Charlton Athletic, which saw Town take away a 3-0 victory, on the bench.