Ipswich Town: Legends pay tributes to mark Sir Bobby Robson 80th birthday celebration
- Credit: Archant
FOOTBALLING greats joined friends and family of the late Sir Bobby Robson in marking the former manager’s 80th birthday tonight.
A host of celebrities and football legends, including Mick Mils, paid tribute to Sir Bobby in a special evening which celebrated the life of the ex-England coach in his native North-East.
Sir Bobby Robson – A Celebration featured some of Sir Bobby’s “Desert Island Discs” as well as excerpts from his final interviews, which were originally filmed for use at the celebration event when it was first planned, with his involvement, in 2009.
The former Town, Newcastle and Barcelona boss enjoyed a glorious, trophy-laden career in management and was one of the most popular figures in the game.
The event raised funds for The Alan Shearer Foundation and The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, which was launched by Sir Bobby and his wife Lady Elsie in 2008 and has gone on to raise more than £4.7million to help find more effective ways to detect and treat cancer.
You may also want to watch:
Sir Richard Branson and Virgin Money backed last night’s special event, held at The Sage Gateshead.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 8 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 9 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 10 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash