Ipswich: Traders welcome rethink by Tesco
Tesco’s decision to scale back its proposed new store on Grafton Way has been welcomed by the group representing town centre traders.
But while Ipswich Central described the news as “a good day for the town”, the Ipswich Society said it remained concerned about the proposal and its impact on the town as a whole.
Ipswich Central chief executive Paul Clement said retailers would be pleased that Tesco was now only planning to build a food store on the site and would not have large electronics or clothing departments that could compete with town centre retailers.
He said: “We opposed the original development. This change looks much better from the point of view of town centre retailers. It’s a good day for the town so far as we are concerned.”
However the Ipswich Society is not so happy – and is still worried about the impact of a large food store on the town centre.
Society chairman John Norman said: “This is outside the town centre and we would be concerned about its impact on retailers in the heart of Ipswich whatever it sells. We are also concerned about the parking arrangements that will be there.”
Tesco is expected to submit a revised planning application for the site, with a foodstore 30 per cent smaller than the superstore already proposed and 17 town houses rather than 129 flats on the site, to the borough council over the next few weeks.
- 1 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 6 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
Will the new proposals be better than the original plan? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org