Ipswich travel agent staying just miles from scene of Tunisian terror attack makes tearful call home
- Credit: ap
Suffolk travel agent Charlotte Foulger has made contact from Tunisia to reassure friends and colleagues that she and her boyfriend are safe after today’s beach shooting.
Andrea Powell, owner of Idelo Travel on Saint Nicholas Street, Ipswich, has confirmed that her colleague is currently holidaying in the Port El Kantaoui neighbourhood of Sousse, but is safe and well.
Miss Foulger, aged 20, flew out to the tourist resort for a 10-day holiday with her boyfriend on Wednesday. They are staying just three miles from the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba, where gunman shot dead 27 holidaymakers at lunchtime.
Thankfully, not long after the news had spread, Miss Foulger phoned home and also spoke to her boss.
Mrs Powell said: “She phoned me up in tears. She said ‘I have got to come home’.
“I said ‘stay strong, you are fine and we will get you home’.
“We are getting her flights and transfers arranged.”
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 3 Suffolk glamp site 'perfect for romantic retreats' named among best in UK
- 4 Long-running BBC One show to be filmed in Suffolk church
- 5 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 6 Revealed: Where house prices are rising fastest in Suffolk
- 7 Ipswich Town away shirt sales up by 138%!
- 8 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 9 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
- 10 Severe delays on A14 after lorry sheds load of sand on carriageway
Speaking of the moment she heard of the shootings, Mrs Powell added: “The fact that I had a staff member out in that area...I really thought it was her hotel. I was numb.
“She’s only been with me a couple of weeks but she’s part of our team and I just knew she would be absolutely in bits.”
She added: “It’s a difficult situation, you can’t get everybody home straight away, you can’t automatically charter a plane.”
Miss Foulger is now due to fly back to England on Sunday.
Ms Powell added that Idelo Travel do not currently have any other customers staying in Tunisia.
Do you have relatives affected? Email us with updates.