Ipswich travel agent staying just miles from scene of Tunisian terror attack makes tearful call home
- Credit: ap
Suffolk travel agent Charlotte Foulger has made contact from Tunisia to reassure friends and colleagues that she and her boyfriend are safe after today’s beach shooting.
Andrea Powell, owner of Idelo Travel on Saint Nicholas Street, Ipswich, has confirmed that her colleague is currently holidaying in the Port El Kantaoui neighbourhood of Sousse, but is safe and well.
Miss Foulger, aged 20, flew out to the tourist resort for a 10-day holiday with her boyfriend on Wednesday. They are staying just three miles from the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba, where gunman shot dead 27 holidaymakers at lunchtime.
Thankfully, not long after the news had spread, Miss Foulger phoned home and also spoke to her boss.
Mrs Powell said: “She phoned me up in tears. She said ‘I have got to come home’.
You may also want to watch:
“I said ‘stay strong, you are fine and we will get you home’.
“We are getting her flights and transfers arranged.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 9 Village pub given go-ahead to expand dining area
- 10 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
Speaking of the moment she heard of the shootings, Mrs Powell added: “The fact that I had a staff member out in that area...I really thought it was her hotel. I was numb.
“She’s only been with me a couple of weeks but she’s part of our team and I just knew she would be absolutely in bits.”
She added: “It’s a difficult situation, you can’t get everybody home straight away, you can’t automatically charter a plane.”
Miss Foulger is now due to fly back to England on Sunday.
Ms Powell added that Idelo Travel do not currently have any other customers staying in Tunisia.
Do you have relatives affected? Email us with updates.