Ipswich: Trio admit Co-op raid

IPSWICH: Three young criminals have admitted a bungled break-in at an Ipswich Co-op store.

Cory Masterson, 18, of Hawthorn Drive, Ipswich, Luke Stuttard, 20, and Colin Weeding, 21 – whose addresses were given as Ipswich police station on the South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court list – all admitted attempted burglary.

The trio were caught trying to break into the Co-op in Norwich Road at 10.20pm on October 30.

Gareth Davies, prosecuting, said the men were seen on closed circuit television trying to ‘jemmy’ the rear door of the store. It is understood a crowbar was used to try to get in.

The security guard monitoring the premises alerted police.

You may also want to watch:

A female officer and a special constable arrived to see three men running down a fire escape behind the shop.

The policewoman called for assistance and went to the front of the premises.

Most Read

As she did so she looked up an alleyway to see two of the offenders jump from the roof.

One of them was detained by the special constable, the other by a police officer.

During the incident Stuttard is said to have injured his foot as he landed on the ground.

The female officer went around to the back of the shop to find Masterson close to the nearby funeral directors.

The court heard that when interviewed by police Masterson said he was acting as a lookout.

He also told them he had been ‘sofa-surfing’ since being released from a young offenders’ institution two weeks earlier.

He claimed to have consumed 12 cans of Stella Artois lager on the night and said he was drunk before going to the Co-op.

However, Mr Davies said when Masterson was breath-tested he had 10 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal drink-drive limit is 35mcgs.

Mark Holt, representing Masterson, said his client “stupidly and foolishly” went along with what was going on.

Masterson was given an 18-month community order and ordered to carry out 40 hours’ unpaid work. He must also pay �25 prosecution costs.

Stuttard was given a 16-week prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to do 200 hours’ unpaid work. He must also pay �300 compensation to the shop and �40 prosecution costs.

Weeding’s case was adjourned for a pre-sentence report.

He was released on conditional bail until his sentencing on November 22.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus