Ipswich: Trio are jailed for baseball bat park attack on Liam Rumsey

AN IPSWICH woman whose former boyfriend nearly died after she lured him to a local beauty spot and arranged for him to be beaten up has been jailed for five years and four months.

Liam Rumsey, 21, was punched and repeatedly hit over the head with a baseball bat during the brutal attack at Orwell Country Park at Nacton and was so seriously injured that he was rushed to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge where he was put on life support and underwent brain surgery.

Before the attack, on May 3 last year, Kristin Burns had contacted Mr Rumsey, who was her former boyfriend, and arranged to meet up with him on the pretext of discussing their relationship.

However unbeknown to him she had recruited her new boyfriend David Cooper and three other men, including 22-year-old Matthew Osborn to go to the park after asking them to “do over” Mr Rumsey, who she claimed had beaten her up during their relationship.

Once at the country park Burns had walked with Mr Rumsey to a clearing and shortly afterwards Cooper and Osborn had run out from some bushes where they had been hiding. Osborn punched Mr Rumsey twice before Cooper repeatedly hit him with a baseball bat.

You may also want to watch:

Two women who saw part of the incident went to Mr Rumsey’s aid and alerted the emergency services and while one of the stayed with Mr Rumsey the other went to the car park to wait for the ambulance.

Michael Crimp, prosecuting, described the women’s actions as “highly commendable” and said they may have saved Mr Rumsey’s life.

Most Read

Mr Rumsey, of Atherton Road, Ipswich, had suffered a traumatic brain injury and underwent surgery to have part of his skull removed. He subsequently underwent further surgery to insert a titanium plate in his head and although he had made a good recovery he had suffered two seizures earlier this year.

Cooper, 24, of Mildmay Road, Ipswich, and Burns, 21, of Sinclair Drive, Ipswich, admitted wounding Mr Rumsey with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm.

Osborn, of Valiant Road, De Brink on the Green, Martlesham, denied wounding Mr Rumsey with intent and was found not guilty after a trial. However he was found guilty of a less serious charge of unlawful wounding which he had offered to plead guilty to at an earlier stage in the proceedings.

Two other men denied wounding Mr Rumsey with intent to do him grievous bodily harm and were cleared by a jury. Jailing Burns for five years and four months Judge Peter Fenn said: “This was your plan. This was your scheme. Without it none of this would have happened.”

Cooper was given an indeterminate sentence for public protection and was told he would have to serve a minimum of three years and 110 days before he could be considered for release.

Osborn was jailed for a total of 20 months.

Christopher Paxton, for Burns, said she regretted her behaviour and was ashamed of herself.

Hugh Vass, for Cooper, said Burns had “wound him up” about how Mr Rumsey had allegedly treated her during their relationship.

Lindsay Cox, for Osborn, said he had not used a weapon and had not been involved in the attack after Cooper began using the bat.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus