Ipswich: Trio in court over three alleged brothels
TWO men and a woman are today facing charges relating to three alleged Ipswich brothels and money-laundering totalling �238,000.
The alleged sex parlours are said to have been in operation in Firmin Close, Broomwade Close, and Princes Street.
Tsz Ling Chan is facing eight charges ranging over a 30-month period.
She is accused of six counts of concealing, disguising, converting, transferring or removing criminal property.
Three of the alleged offences are reported to have taken place in Ipswich, two in Colchester, and one in Southampton.
You may also want to watch:
They are said to have taken place at various times between August 3, 2009, and February 21, this year.
Chan is accused of siphoning various amounts of money totalling �157,420 through accounts at Barclays, HSBC, Halifax and Lloyds TSB banks.
- 1 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 7 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
Two of the accusations relate to allegations involving co-accused Shaulong Tong, with the largest single amount being �63,000.
Chan, 26, is also charged with assisting in the management of a brothel in Firmin Close between March 18, 2010, and January 17, 2011, as well as another alleged sex parlour in Broomwade Close between December 28, 2011, and March 28, 2012.
Tong, also 26, faces three money-laundering allegations and two brothel-keeping charges involving the same two addresses as Chan.
In addition to allegedly money-laundering �63,000 and �4,000 with Chan through Barclays bank in Ipswich, he is also accused of putting �53,000 from criminal proceeds linked to prostitution through HSBC in Ipswich.
A second man Jonathan Beddoes, of South Green Road, Fingringhoe, near Colchester, has been charged with keeping or managing a brothel between March 14, 2011 and July 18, 2011, at a flat in Princes Street.
The 45-year-old is also accused of money-laundering �26,754 through bank accounts and a credit card at Fingringhoe between September 9, 2010 and October 17, 2011.
All three accused made their first appearances on the charges before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich.
Chan and Tong, both of Channel Way, Ocean Village, Southampton, and Beddoes, were released on bail until the next hearing of their case.
The trio must return to the magistrates court on October 15.