Ipswich welder dies after 50 years exposed to asbestos at work
PUBLISHED: 16:11 18 July 2018 | UPDATED: 09:29 19 July 2018
A retired welder from Ipswich died after 50 years of working in environments contaminated with asbestos, an inquest heard today.
David Warnes, who passed away on May 9 aged 76, was exposed to the hazardous material while working with mechanical components that had to be kept at a certain temperature – maintained by the use of “massive asbestos blankets”.
The inquest heard that Mr Warnes died of bronchopneumonia, due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asbestiosis. This was said to be directly related to his industrial job.
Mr Warnes’ partner, Yvonne, said in a statement: “We have been together for 24 years and David used to say we were still on honeymoon as we were so close and did everything together.
“He wasn’t one of the best, he was the best.”
Concluding the inquest, assistant coroner Kevin McCarthy said: “He died in Ipswich Hospital from complications arising from a severe lung disease. I conclude that this was an industrial disease.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.