Ipswich Witches boss Ritchie Hawkins praises reserves after win at Scunthorpe
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Witches team manager Ritchie Hawkins says his two reserves set the example to follow after his side’s 47-43 win at Scunthorpe on Sunday in the Championship.
The Witches were trailing going into the final few heats but Hawkins said that Connor Mountain’s ride in heat 12 inspired the comeback.
“It was a tight meeting throughout and we stepped up a gear in the end,” said Hawkins. “Everyone’s heads were down a little bit when we were behind and then Connor went out and rode superbly and that gave everyone a bit of a boost and that turned the meeting really.”
The boss was pleased to see his side end the meeting strongly and reserved special praise for the reserve duo of Mountain and Nathan Greaves.
“It’s not the first time we have had a really good finish and as I said, Connor did that fantastic ride and it turned everyone’s head and everyone got their heads back up after that.
“When your number seven goes out and rides brilliantly, it kicks everyone else into gear. Nathan rode terrifically, he crashed three times, two of them when in a strong position and he was just trying his heart out. The reserves set an example of what we expect from a Witch.”
Hawkins says that all the team stepped up to the plate when they needed to, adding that Kyle Newman continues to battle through the pain barrier.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 5 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-0 Bolton loss
- 7 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 8 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 9 McKenna on Walton, Bonne and signing a new defender after Nsiala exit
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
“Danny (King) is going very well at Scunthorpe, he had a maximum earlier in the year and was excellent tonight. Cam’s (Heeps) confidence is up and is showing his good form. Everyone pulled off a good ride when they needed too, Rory (Schlein) had an important ride in heat 13.
“Kyle has had another crash tonight and he is carrying an injury so it was another big hit which was a pure accident. For him to keep picking up steady points is a great effort because he is in a lot of pain.”
Hawkins believes the current top four in the league look relatively safe but is hoping his side can strengthen their position further in the coming week.
“The top four look very solid and we want to get in the play-offs in a good run of form so another away win keeps everyone’s heads up.”