Ipswich: Work starts on hospital’s new �5m sterile unit
A SECOND major development at Ipswich Hospital has helped secure the future of surgical services at the trust, the town’s MP has said.
Ipswich MP Ben Gummer joined staff at the Heath Road trust yesterday to mark the start of building work to create a new �5million state-of-the-art sterilisation unit.
The funding was granted by the Department of Health at the same time as another �5m was awarded to the trust to build a new specialist heart centre, in the wake of The Star’s Have a Heart campaign.
The new unit will enable instruments and medical equipment to be sterilised on site.
Mr Gummer told The Star: “It is really exciting. This is about the hospital being on the map for surgery.
You may also want to watch:
“It secures the future of surgical services at the hospital and is a sign of the rejuvenation of the hospital after so many years of going the other way.
“It is really positive step, it is a massive investment in the capabilities of the hospital.”
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 7 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
Medical director Peter Donaldson said: “Hospital surgeons and clinicians feel very strongly that on-site sterilisation is by far the safest option allowing the clinicians to put patient safety at the centre of everything we do.”
And Tony Ramsey, chair of the hospital’s user group added: “We are delighted with this major investment in the hospital. It comes hot on the heels of news of funding for the �5m development for a cardiac centre. It is tremendous news for the community we serve and all who work at the hospital.”
Do you welcome the new unit? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.