Ipswich: Yoghurt pot assault proves costly for man who breached restraining order

AARON Claxton’s honesty has ended up with him being ordered to carry out an extra 100 hours unpaid work by a district judge.

Today, the 47-year-old, of Woodbridge Road, Ipswich, might being rueing his openness with police while being interviewed for breaching orders preventing him contacting his former girlfriend.

After being arrested he told officers he had also thrown a yoghurt pot at his new partner’s mother and found himself admitting assault in court, although she never made a complaint.

South East Suffolk Magistrates Court heard Claxton also pleaded guilty to breaching a restraining order and a non molestation order relating to his ex-girlfriend of ten years, imposed after their relationship – which was punctuated by domestic violence – had broken up.

Prosecutor Tess Mann said the delivery driver sent two texts to her on the afternoon of August 25.

You may also want to watch:

Claxton said he missed her and knew he had been foolish to treat her the way he did. The woman told him she did not want him to contact her again.

The court was told she was upset and shook for three hours, as she did not realise Claxton had obtained her new mobile number.

Most Read

Claxton had previously breached his restraining order in March this year, and before that had a conviction for battery on his ex-girlfriend.

After his latest arrest it transpired that Claxton was with another woman and he told police that a dispute arose over buying a car together.

During the argument her mother intervened. Claxton then threw a yoghurt pot at her, causing a cut to her lip.

Ita Farrelly, mitigating, told the court Claxton had sent the text messages because a mutual friend had died and he was worried about how his former partner was feeling.

District Judge Celia Dawson imposed a community order on Claxton for the breaching of the orders with a condition that he carry our 100 hours unpaid work. He was also given a one-month prison sentence suspended for 12 months.

In addition he was told he must complete a further 100 hours unpaid work for the assault and pay �100 compensation to his girlfriend’s mother.

Claxton was also ordered to pay �85 costs.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter