Jaywick: 72-year-old who was hit in the face with sledgehammer during midnight attack fought off three attackers with walking stick
- Credit: Archant
Three men are being hunted by police after they attacked a 72-year-old man in his own home last night.
The offenders made off with just the man’s wallet after he fought back against them, with the victim needing treatment at Colchester Hospital after the midnight ordeal.
He had opened his back door to challenge someone in the alleyway next to his house in Meadow Way after hearing noises outside.
The men then forced their way into the house and assaulted him with the sledgehammer as well as punching him.
Police later searched the area but didn’t find any traces of the men, described as white, over the age of 20 and wearing grey hooded tops and tracksuit bottoms with white spray masks over their faces.
You may also want to watch:
Investigating Officer Detective Inspector Neil Pudney said: “This was attack on an elderly man who has been assaulted in his own home.
“He would have been terrified. He has been injured whilst trying to fight off his attackers, who were armed with a sledgehammer, with just his walking stick.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 10 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
“This is an out-of-the-ordinary incident so somebody must know who did it or may have seen something that could help us find those responsible for this nasty crime.”
Anyone who saw suspicions behaviour in the area around Meadow Way or has other information which could help the police should call Clacton CID on 101 or ring Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.